As we head into winter, the mornings are becoming noticeably cooler, which makes this a perfect nourishing and delicious breakfast choice. It’s super easy, so give it a try to create something different and special for mum on Mother’s Day.
1 cup uncooked brown rice
1 tin coconut cream (usually 400ml)
1 tin water (use the empty tin of the coconut cream to measure the water)
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1 teaspoon cinnamon
To serve with - some ideas
- Handful of walnuts, pecans, slivered almonds or any other nuts you like, toasted
- Handful of toasted coconut chips
- Handful of any sort of fresh berries you like, such as blueberries, raspberries, strawberries (whatever may be in season) or a combination
- A dollop of sweet coconut spread or a drizzle of maple syrup, or a sprinkle of coconut flower sugar or any other sweetener
- Zest of an orange or lemon, as you wish
- Milk – any sort including vanilla almond milk, soy, rice, oat, hazelnut, Coco Quench etc
- Dollop of coconut yoghurt
- Sprig of fresh mint
If you’re using a rice cooker, add the brown rice and stir in the coconut cream, water, vanilla bean paste and cinnamon. If your rice cooker requires more liquid, add water. If you’re cooking it on the stovetop, add the rice to a pot and stir in the coconut milk, water, vanilla bean paste and cinnamon. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and partially cover.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid thickens and the rice is tender. Add your chosen ingredients.
My favourite combination is toasted almonds, toasted coconut chips, raspberries, coconut yoghurt and sweet coconut spread.
Dairy free (subject to milk choice)